Many of us have experienced the discomfort of a stiff back at some point in our lives. We all know that it is not fun, and it can make us feel very unwell. If you are concerned as to why you have a stiff back, you’re not alone. Stiffness in the back is one of the most common problems among office workers, affecting more than half of them. And it’s not just your spine that suffers. The neck and shoulders get stiff too, making it difficult to carry out simple tasks such as lifting your arms or reaching for things on the floor.
The first step in finding out why your back is stiff is to identify what has been causing the problem in the first place. This can be difficult because different symptoms may be caused by different underlying problems. The most common factor, however, can be traced to poor posture from spending too much time in front of a computer. Sitting in one position for hours can have an effect on your spine as it makes the spinal discs weak, causing them to lose their shape and become damaged over time.
If you work at a desk, the way you sit can damage your health. In order to avoid this, try taking frequent breaks to stretch by doing a few simple exercises – this will help you feel better and adjust your posture. On top of that, poor posture can also be attributed to the following scenarios:
- The chair seat is too high and causes both the occupant’s feet to dangle off the ground, as well as straining other body parts.
- The chair seat is too low, leading to raised shoulders due to the occupant’s inability to fully sit back in the seat pan and support their upper backs.
- The occupant slouches in the chair, putting pressure and excessive strain on the tailbone.
It would be advisable to look into switching to an adjustable table or ergonomic chair as this will help you to retain good posture, especially when you have to work for long hours. Some other medical-related complications that can also arise from back pain include:
- Ligament or muscle strain: Muscle strain and tension are common ailments among people who regularly undertake strenuous physical activity. A sudden sharp movement or lifting heavy objects can cause muscle twinges, which are fortunately only momentary. However, if the pain lasts for more than two weeks or if you experience any other symptoms, such as numbness or tingling in your extremities, the GP may refer you for an X-ray or MRI scan to find out the reason for your condition.
- Lumbar spine Osteoarthritis: Lumbar spine osteoarthritis is an age-related condition that causes pain in the lower back. Without treatment, it can cause a loss of flexibility and mobility, as well as force you to move around with more effort than before. Early diagnosis is best, as osteoarthritis can be treated with medications and lifestyle changes to slow progress and prevent damage that takes hold quickly.
- Sciatic Nerve Pain: Serious cases of back pain may involve nerve root inflammation and pressure. The most common symptom of sciatic nerve pain is pain that radiates along the path of one or both legs and into an individual’s foot. There are several treatment options available, but getting enough rest and avoiding movements likely to trigger pain should be your first step.
Back pain has been a constant source of concern for many of us. Some of us have developed chronic back pain, which can be attributed to our lifestyles and work environment. Back pain can be a serious condition, so it’s important to know the difference between regular back pain and one that might be caused by something else. The majority of your everyday aches and pains are likely caused by factors such as poor posture, overworked muscles and a lack of stretching. If you have to sit for long periods, make sure you have an ergonomic chair with good lumbar support and armrests that can be adjusted up or down depending upon your needs.
TakeAseat.sg is the leading furniture shop in Singapore that provides ergonomic solutions with over a decade’s experience. Whether you are looking for an adjustable study table or ergonomic chair for the office, we have a wide variety of affordable, high-quality products that can boost your body’s posture and help increase productivity and ergonomics. It is important to us that everyone can enjoy a better quality of life while reducing pain and fatigue with our reliable and comfortable ergonomic furniture and standing desks that boost your body’s posture and productivity while reducing pain and fatigue. Visit us at our store to relieve your stiff back today!