When it comes to office chairs, most will choose those with leather upholstery for their luxuriousness and comfort. However, mesh office chairs have been getting popular over the years, especially in Singapore. This begins the “debate”. Is there a definitive reason to choose one material over another?
In this article, we will take a closer look at the practicality of each material to assist you in making the best decision.
Leather office chairs
- Easy to clean: Most leather office chairs nowadays are made from PU (synthetic) leather unless stated to be genuine. With PU leather, all you need to clean is to wipe it down with a wet towel.
- Well-cushioned sitting: Leather office chairs are often well-padded, creating a well-cushioned sitting experience.
- Luxurious aesthetics: Leather always exudes luxury. It is easier to find leather office chairs with intricate designs as compared to mesh office chairs.
- Affordable: Not counting genuine leather, both PU and bonded leather are incredibly cheap to make.
- Green friendly: PU leather office chairs are 100 per cent synthetic, which means it does not contain animal products.
- Lack of breathability: Leather is not porous, hence does not encourage airflow when sitting on it. If you are someone who perspires easily or lives in a tropical climate country like Singapore, then this is something you should consider as well.
- Non-hypoallergenic: PU leather is often treated with harsh chemicals that might not go well with those with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Wears and tears easily: Depending on the price of the leather office chair, the cheaper ones tend to wear and tear easily. But generally, unless it is really expensive, most leather office chairs’ colours fade after a few years.
Mesh office chairs
- Extremely breathable: The mesh material is highly porous, encouraging good airflow, which makes sitting for a prolonged time really comfortable.
- Easier to maintain: While leather is already easy to keep clean, mesh office chairs take cleaning to another level. Because of the porous materials, things like dirt, dust, small particles usually falls through to the ground.
- Better ergonomics: Mesh office chairs are often designed with well-defined contours, making them a better ergonomic fit for prolonged sitting. Unlike leather office chairs which mainly focus on aesthetics, mesh office chairs, especially the ergonomic mesh chairs, usually come with a ton of key adjustable ergonomic features.
These issues may often be found in cheaper mesh office chairs that are not build with quality materials.
- Scratchy material: Some people have commented that the mesh upholstery feels scratchy when in contact with the skin.
- The seat may sag over a period of time: Over a period of time, the mesh structure may expand and weaken, resulting in the sagging of the seat. When that happens, it is often hard to replace. This issue is more apparent on cheaper mesh office chairs.
- Stylistically limited: Mesh office chairs are often sold in limited designs, as compared to leather office chairs, which have tons of different designs, shapes, and colours.
So, leather versus mesh office chairs, which do you get? At the end of the day, it all depends on personal preference. Each material offers many benefits. If you are looking to improve ergonomics and comfort, then mesh office chairs are the way to go. However, if style and comfort are what you are looking for, then selecting a leather office chair might be a better option.
Nevertheless, whether you are getting a leather office chair or a mesh office chair, TakeAseat got them all. We offer high-quality, comfortable, and durable ergonomic office chairs in both materials. Besides ergonomic chairs, we offer other ergonomic furniture and products for your office and gaming needs. For more information, visit https://www.takeaseat.sg/.